Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Frat Houses...

Family and friends,
     This has been an amazing week. Even when things don't go perfectly as planned it's still great. The longer I've been on my mission and the closer I get to finishing I am grow in my gratitude to my Savior for my call to serve as one of His full time representatives and my assignment to labor in the Montana Billings Mission. It's a privilege to be persecuted and to struggle for Christ's sake.
     There was one pretty crazy thing that happened this week but other than that things were pretty calm. So last transfer the Sister Missionaries got a self-referral from Church Headquarters named Canton. They went over and gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and he was super excited to meet! They talked to him a little bit before they realized he's YSA age so they passed him off to us and told him some guy missionaries would contact him, he was still down to meet. We call him and the number is disconnected so we go by his place, he answers the door, we tell him our
Church is on the corner of South 5th and Grant and set up an appointment to meet with him. He doesn't keep this appointment, doesn't answer texts or calls and doesn't come to church. So we keep trying but can't make any contact. Keep in mind, this all happened last transfer so for the past ~6 weeks we've been trying to get a hold of him with no luck. Then this past week we give him a call, he answers the phone but hangs up when we tell him we're the missionaries. We text him to see if he's still interested in learning more because the phone call was cutting in and out a little. He responds that he already joined us and is confused as to why we're trying to contact him about learning more. He says for the past six weeks he's been learning about the history channel and at the end of the week he was planning on becoming a full fledged member! Now we're really confused. We tell him we're the full time missionaries from the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and that our church building is at 1316 S Grant to which he responds that he's been going to the building at 1321 S Grant and thought it was also the Church.............guess what's across the street at 1321? A college fraternity house. So we tried to clarify and he hasn't really responded since. Ladies and gentleman, this is the story of the time we got a baptism for a frat house. I don't think they baptize people but same idea. We were a little embarrassed when we told our ward mission leader and he just laughed his head off. This is just one example of something that didn't quite go the way we planned but you learn and move on.
Also on Tuesday we did service at the Community Cafe with our ward. It's a really cool restaurant. It's the only 'pick your own price' restaurant in Montana. They serve a different meal each night and you can literally pay anything, the suggested price is $5 but if you only have a nickel or if you want to pay $100 they'll feed you! They have a lot of homeless people come through that don't have much else to eat. I got to pull out my Chick-Fil-A skills! They assigned me and my companion to do dishes...it's the only place where we could stay together for sure the whole night. It wasn't actually that bad, I had a blast. Speaking of Chick-Fil-A, Meg and Kelsey went down to Utah for conference and watched some of the sessions at the conference center and even went to my home for breakfast and the Sunday morning session with my family! But on their way back we get a phone call around 5 on Monday saying that they're just pulling into a CFA in Idaho on their way home. So my companion and I got to order some and we made a drop off in town when they got back. I think this makes the 4th time I've had Chick-Fil-A on my mission with the only one in boundaries being up in Kalispell and I've never had any from their. #blessings #membermissionarywork
     We had 2 solid lessons this week with 2 different new investigators we found last week! We got members to come to both! One was with Suzanne and the other was with JT. Suzanne had heard lots of bad things about Mormons and what we believe but let us teach her and at the end of the visit she said she learned that we really do love Jesus Christ and that our church is focused on Him! She's excited to learn more and we'll be teaching her again this week! JT is super solid too, he's really curious about religions. He's kept all the commitments we've given him and apologized for ONLY reading the first 7 chapters and all the introductory material in the past week. JT, don't worry, you're doing fine!
     We've been doing lots and lots and lots of finding this week. We usually just walk around the streets surrounding campus and look for apartments that college students probably live in. We're always on the look out for big apartment buildings. Another big sign for wether a college student lives there or not is if they drive a Subaru Outback, have lots of bumper/window stickers or have a license plate from a different state. With all the time we're putting in we aren't seeing too much success but we are seeing progress. I think one of the biggest blessings I see when we do some good finding and don't slow down even when we don't see fruit is the change in me. The gospel doesn't make sense according to the world because it teaches that we take more responsibility upon ourselves and forget about ourselves and then our burdens are lightened. The world teaches to only care about ourselves but that only brings the heavy load of narcissism, loneliness and pride. We need to take Christ's yoke upon us because His burden is light. We do so by facing all trials in life with a spirit of meekness and lowliness of heart. With that attitude we can endure faithfully in submission to the Father's will and His will is only to make us better, even if the refining comes by fire.
     Even though not much happened this week I learned a lot about myself and my Savior. I was getting frustrated a little bit at the beginning of the week but humbled myself to submit to His timetable. I know that if I'm honestly trying my best to be worth of and to follow the spirit then He will hasten His work in His own time. It's a comfort to me know that if I give my heart, might, mind and strength to him completely then He will move His work forward regardless of my weaknesses. God's will and plan is for all of His children to make it back to Him and truly the only thing that ever interrupts His plan is each of our individual wills. God's plan is about repentance, it's about change, it's about Joy. In short, it's about Jesus Christ, He who is the Giver of all good gifts. Press forward and trust that His grace sufficient.

Elder Garian Tippetts
eldergariantippetts.blogspot.com
311 Michael Grove Unit B
Bozeman, MT 59718

No comments:

Post a Comment